The sinuses are a system of hollow spaces in the bones around the nose. They are lined with mucous membranes, which produce mucus to cleanse the nasal cavity and trap foreign particles such as dust and bacteria. The sinuses also help to moisten and warm inhaled air.
The sinuses can become infected, and you’ll likely experience symptoms that cause great discomfort when this happens. Even worse, sinus infections can become a chronic issue.
Let us discuss sinus infections, how you can find relief, and where to go in Will County & DuPage County for expert treatment and prevention.
What is a Sinus Infection?
A sinus infection or sinusitis is an inflammation of these hollow spaces. It can be caused by viral infections, bacterial infections, allergies, or environmental irritants such as smoke or pollution. Symptoms of sinusitis include facial pain or pressure, headache, stuffy nose, runny nose, fever, fatigue, and bad breath.
How Should You Treat Sinus Infections?
Treatment depends on the underlying cause but may include antibiotics for bacterial infections, antihistamines for allergies, decongestants for congestion, or corticosteroids for inflammation.
- Drink plenty of fluids to thin out mucus and help flush it from your system. Avoid caffeinated drinks, which can only cause dehydration.
- To flush out your nasal passages, you can use a saline mist spray or fill a neti pot, which is a small teapot-like device, with saline solution to thin the mucus and ease congestion.
- Use a humidifier in your room to prevent air from drying out and exacerbating your sinus infection symptoms.
- Use a pot with warm water or a steam inhaler to inhale warm steam and ease congestion. The soothing steam can alleviate symptoms such as congestion and dryness.
- Prop yourself with pillows when you sleep so drainage can flow freely down your throat instead of pooling in your sinuses.
- Apply a warm compress to your face several times a day to help reduce inflammation
- and pain around your nose and eyes.
- Try over-the-counter decongestants and antihistamines for temporary relief from your symptoms. You can also take pain relievers for relief from sinus pressure.
- Increase your vitamin C intake as it can help your body fight sinus infection. Foods high in vitamin C include oranges, tomatoes, and cruciferous vegetables. It’s better to consume real foods than increase your vitamin C intake through sugary drinks.
Chronic Sinus Infection Treatment in Will County & DuPage County, IL
If you want a cure for your sinus infection, you have to find out what is causing it. An allergy doctor can find out what is causing your chronic sinus infections through testing. The allergists at Oak Brook Allergists regularly treat patients with sinus issues and can help you get the treatment that works for you. With the appropriate treatment, you’ll not only experience lasting relief but also reduce the frequency of sinus infections.
To schedule an appointment with one of our allergy doctors, call our office today at (630) 574-0460 or use our convenient online request form. With help from our experts, you can breathe clearly again.