Bee stings don’t usually cause a serious reaction in people who are not allergic to them. Usually, the venom injected by the bee will cause a reaction with symptoms, such as pain, redness, itching, and swelling in the bite location. These symptoms are considered mild or moderate. However, people who are allergic to bee stings experience severe symptoms that range from hives to swelling of the face, lips, and throat. Some may even lose consciousness.
How a Bee Stings
A bee jabs its stinger that contains venom into the skin to sting. The venom contains proteins that a person’s body may react to differently. The body can launch a strong immunological response against it that can produce severe symptoms, some of which are life-threatening. Adults and children both can be allergic to bee stings. However, adults tend to have more severe life-threatening reactions to it. In many cases, the first bee sting may produce a mild reaction, but with each subsequent bee sting, the reactions could become increasingly worse.
Bee Sting Reaction Time
Local reactions to a bee sting develop quickly. The sooner the stinger is removed, the sooner you can stop the flow of toxins into the body. A person with a bee sting will likely experience severe pain for one to two hours after getting stung. After intense pain, the area will start to become itchy. Redness, pain, and swelling can last up to seven days after the incident. This is for someone not allergic to bee stings. If the symptoms seem to get worse after several days, see a doctor.
Anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting can start within two hours of the incident and rapidly progress. Hives will develop on the face and body, followed by other symptoms, such as headache, dizziness, fainting, nausea, vomiting, and difficulty breathing and swallowing. Blood pressure can also decrease and the heart rate can weaken, which can lead to loss of consciousness.
If you or your child is exhibiting signs of an allergic reaction to a bee sting, call 911 immediately. Because symptoms can continue to get worse with time, it is best to seek medical attention as soon as the bite causes a reaction in the body.
Board-Certified Adult and Pediatric Allergists in Northeast Illinois
If you or your child has had a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting, an allergist can help prevent another potentially life-threatening response to it and reduce the severity of the reaction. At Oak Brook Allergists in northeast Illinois, we test for different insect bites to determine what you are allergic to. We recommend that you avoid places where you could get stung by bees and create an action plan in case you do get stung. Our patients are provided an emergency adrenaline kit and offered venom immunotherapy to reduce the severity of an allergic reaction to a bee sting.
To make an appointment with one of our board-certified allergists, call (630) 574-0460 or use our online form now. We have locations in Downers Grove, Naperville, Elmhurst, and Plainfield. We look forward to serving you soon!