Runny nose, watery eyes, and itchy skin are all common symptoms of allergies. You may reach for the cold medicine and experience temporary relief from your symptoms – but if these signs actually indicate an allergy rather than a cold, then what you are doing is putting a patch over the problem rather than addressing it at its root cause.
An allergy symptom is an immunological response to an allergen, whereas most colds are caused by viral or bacterial infections. What’s causing your allergic reaction is the exposure to an allergen, and you will continue to suffer from allergies until you know what the allergen is and how to handle it.
You can only guess at what the allergen is until you see an allergy specialist. Allergies can make your life miserable, but an allergist can help create a customized treatment plan that reduces the frequency and severity of your allergy symptoms.
How an Allergist Can Help You
Allergists can treat both adults and children, which is critical since allergies tend to run in families. Allergy symptoms can range from mild to severe, and severe reactions can be life-threatening if they are not treated right away – such as anaphylactic shock, which can stop your breathing.
Make an appointment with an allergist as soon as possible if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Respiratory symptoms (coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose) while spending time outdoors during any time of the year
- Respiratory symptoms after exposure to pets
- Constant inflammation of the sinuses (in the cheeks next to the nose, and in the lower forehead)
- Asthma attacks
- Swelling around the eyes, swollen mouth, and itchy skin after eating certain foods
- Difficulty breathing after taking certain medications
- Severe reaction to an insect bite or sting (considerable swelling and redness)
- Dry, flaky skin rash after exposure to soaps and fragrances
- Difficulty falling asleep due to symptoms
- Antihistamines no longer relieve symptoms
- Family history of severe allergies
A decreased quality of life and persistent interference with your day-to-day activities is a good reason to see an allergist. There is no reason to suffer anymore.
Experienced Allergist in Northeastern Illinois
If your allergy symptoms are interfering with your life, our skilled allergy doctors here at Oak Brook Allergists can find out what you are allergic to and help you prevent future attacks. Whatever it is that is causing your allergies – whether it is pollen, a type of food, mold, etc. – it is unnecessary to continue enduring the symptoms when you can prevent it from happening in the first place. Our goal is to help you breathe better and enjoy life without fear of the next allergy attack.
To schedule a consultation with any of our allergists, call our friendly team today at (630) 574-0460 or fill out our appointment request form online now. We have convenient locations in Downers Grove, Naperville, Elmhurst, and Plainfield, and we look forward to helping you get to the bottom of your allergies.